The college’s City campus in the heart of Glasgow’s learning quarter scooped the 2017 RIAS and RIBA Award for best current Scottish architecture.
The state of the art building also took the Architects’ Journal’s top prizes, winning the AJ100 Building of the Year and AJ100 Client of the Year awards.
Principal and Chief Executive of City of Glasgow College, Paul Little, said, “We are absolutely thrilled. Winning three prestigious architectural awards in one night, being crowned Building of the Year and being recognised as the best in current Scottish architecture, is truly remarkable.
“These accolades underline what our staff, students and visitors already know; that we have a world class, inspiring, learning environment. We are truly redefining what college education means and the extraordinary twin site campus, created by a challenging design brief and innovative thinking from our architects, is sure to be an iconic feature of Glasgow’s city scape for generations to come.”
Reiach and Hall Architects and Michael Laird Architects said, “Winning the Building of the Year at the AJ100 is a tremendous honour for everyone involved in the project, across the whole design and construction team.
“We are also delighted that our client has been awarded ‘Client of the Year’ at the same awards. City of Glasgow College was a highly engaged and collaborative client group whose energy and commitment to the project went substantially beyond professional obligations.
“Hopefully the quality of the buildings and these awards will help the college give its students the inspiration and aspiration to prosper. We also hope that this contribution to Glasgow will become a valued and loved part of the city.”
Winning the RIAS and RIBA award means City campus is now on the shortlist for the Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award which will be presented in November 2017.
City Campus also recently collected the award for Education Building of the Year 2017 at the Scottish Design Awards and is currently in the shortlist for this year’s British Construction Industry Awards: Major Building Project of the Year [over £50m].
- Riverside campus has won 11 architectural awards since opening its doors to staff and students in August 2015.
- Building of the Year is presented to the finest building completed by an AJ100 listed practice in the last 12 months.
- Since opening to staff and students in August 2016, City campus has welcomed over 10,000 visitors.
- City of Glasgow College’s £228m twin site super campus comprises City campus on Glasgow’s Cathedral Street and Riverside campus on the Clyde
- It is overall number one in the Scottish sector for success in student attainment and top two in the UK for WorldSkills
The 58,787 sq. metres City campus in the heart of Glasgow’s Learning Quarter opened its doors to students in 2016. It features:
- 1000 learning spaces and a library resource over four floors
- Advanced technology with high quality classrooms
- Industry standard TV and Radio studios
- Fully equipped aircraft training cabin
- 16 professional cookery kitchens
- A mini hospital
The 21,403 sq. metres Riverside Campus opened its doors to staff and students in August 2015 and features:
- First 360 degree Shipping Simulation Suite in Scotland
- One of the most modern working ships engine rooms in the UK
- First women-only engineering and construction classes in Scotland
- State-of-the-art Nautical Chart Rooms
- Marine skills centre with jetty, rescue lifeboats and free fall lifeboat